Today, security and privacy is more important than ever and because of that, more and more are choosing to encrypt their website traffic using SSL Certificates. We are very pleased to announce that all of our fully-managed shared hosting servers now provide access to FREE “Let’s Encrypt” SSL Certificates.
What is “Let’s Encrypt”?
“Let’s Encrypt” is a free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA), run for the public’s benefit. They provide FREE SSL Certificates using a quick and easy process that anyone can take advantage of. TrevNet Media servers are now fully ready to take advantage of this.
How does “Let’s Encrypt” compare to Commercial (paid) SSL Certificates?
From a technical perspective, “Let’s Encrypt” certificates and Commercial SSL Certificates achieve almost the same thing. There are, however, some significant differences you need to be aware of:
Commercial SSL Certificates
- Commercial SSL Certificates are offered by a trusted CA like Comodo, GoDaddy, etc that provide all types of SSL Certificates.
- You can also claim for warranty in case of misuse or data-breach.
- They offer 24×7 online supports via email, chat or call.
- Recommended for large or Ecommerce Websites.
- Comes with trust seal/site seal
- Every SSL comes with warranty (start from $10,000)
“Let’s Encrypt” SSL Certificates
- “Let’s Encrypt” is a free and open certificate authority that offer Free SSL Certificates for 90 days.
- Our servers will automatically renew these certificates for you.
- You can secure your basic website only, but if you deal with online transactions, then it may not be sufficient enough to protect your website. However, “Woo Commerce” (The #1 Ecommerce WordPress Plugin) does recommend it.
- Apart from this, the free certificate does not offer any warranty in case of misuse or data-breach.
In short; if you want a quick and easy way of getting your website SSL secured for privacy or security reasons, “Let’s Encrypt” is a fantastic FREE option for you. If you are an online retailer, or otherwise require the security, warranty, and support of a commercial certificate, this may be a better option for you.
Great for SEO (Search Engine Optimization)!
About two years ago, Google announced that they were using HTTPS as a “lightweight” ranking signal. If your search rank is really important to the success of your business, switching to HTTPS should help.
What About Certificate Renewals?
We have a process that runs every night to take care of this. It checks the validity of all “Let’s Encrypt” certificates, renews expired certificates, and attempts to issue new certificates for new sub-domains. The process is fully transparent and automated.
What Do I Need To Do Now?
If you’d like to keep your Commercial SSL Certificate, then there is nothing to worry about; business as usual.
If you are a current TrevNet Full Service Hosting customer and you’d like to take advantage of a “Let’s Encrypt” FREE SSL Certificate on your site, contact us to get started.